Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:33:42 -0800
From:      Keith Walker <kew@icehouse.net>
To:        kgc@sonic.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE2 konsole prolems

On Tuesday 07 November 2000  5:28 pm, you wrote:
> I've been having some troubles with KDE2 since I upgraded to the stable
> release out of the ports tree.  It's alot better overall, but:
>
> The second problem appears to be with konsole_grantpty.  When started
> from an xterm, which launches just fine from run, konsole pops up as
> expected, works just fine, but this error displays on the controlling
> xterm:
>
> $konsole
> konsole_grantpty: cannot determine the name of device.
> konsole: chownpty failed for device /dev/ptyp2::/dev/ttyp2.
>
>        : This means the session can be eavesdroped.
>        : Make sure konsole_grantpty is installed in
>        : /usr/local/bin/ and setuid root.

The initial problem is with a call to ttyname() in the konsole_grantpty
program. FreeBSD insists that /dev/ptyp? are not tty's I guess. Working
around that gave me other errors that I've not tracked down yet having to do
with calls to waitpid() which return an error of ECHILD, even though the
child was successfully run (my modified konsole_grantpty).

I'm at the limits of my current knowledge, so I'm afraid that I can't help
much more, but maybe that'll get you or someone else started. :-(

--
Keith Walker
kew@icehouse.net