Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 00:08:35 +1100 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        "Daniel \"the Bruce\" Keller" <dkeller@psln.com>
Cc:        The FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: switching terminals once logged in

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Daniel "the Bruce" Keller wrote:

> internet. If I immediately dial back into my ISP and telnet back to it I can
> see that I am still logged in on whatever terminal I was on before, but
> after a few minutes that connection is terminated, is there anyway I can
> switch back to this terminal so I can continue downloading? Also is there

If you had root access you could use watch but this dosnt seem to be the
case.

> any way I can start a process (e.g. a ftp transfer) then disconnect and have
> it continue executing?

The easiest way would be to use screen (its a port). Otherwise once your
FTP session is off and running press ^Z. Then type bg. The session should
continue to run in the background.

Look at that man pages for stty (-tostop), bg, fg etc

Andrew