Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:00:14 +1000
From:      Andrew Sinclair <syncman@ihug.com.au>
To:        Katinka Mills <katinkad@kaqelectronics.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printing Problems with Ghostscript

Katinka Mills wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have finally bit the bullet and installed FreeBSD as my desktop :o)
>
>I am having trouble getting my printer to work, it is a HP LaserJet 4L. I
>have connected it to LPT0.
>
>All seems ok from the command line, lptest works ok. I can send a text file
>to the printer fine.
>
>When I print from KDE or send one of the example Postscript files to the
>printer, everything seems to be 4X as big.
>
>I am using Ghostscript V 7.05.
>
>Regards,
>
>Kat.

With ghostscript, use -sDEVICE=ljet3 rather than ljet4. The ljet4 device
is designed for a different class of printer capable of 600dpi, which is
why the graphics are out of proportion.

If you had this driver setup for you by webmin or some other GUI,
consult the documentation for that tool. Usually the correct driver is
named 'HP LaserJet III'.