Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 10:31:41 -0400
From:      User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        "Derek C." <coffee@blarg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please be nice to the newbie....

As it was put forth by Derek C. on Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 03:17:03PM -0700...
> Hello all, I am new to FreeBSD, and I am about to embark on my first
> FreeBSD kernel compile. I am very familiar with the kernel build process in
> linux, but FreeBSD appears to be a very different animal in that respect.
>
> So, what I am asking, is there any advice that you would care to impart to
> this FreeBSD newbie (aside from RTFM, which I have done... FreeBSD's docs
> kick butt)?
>
> I appreciate it,
>
> Derek

	A good thing to do before starting the build and install is to start
the command script running and redirect its output to a file in /root.
This will save all the info that is produced during the compile and
install.  This info comes in handy if something goes wrong and you need to
do some troubleshooting.  See man script for more info.

Ian