Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:01:54 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem Booting 4.0R Floppy (ATA Driver?)

To hell with any last semblances of netiquette! I'm going to followup
my own folloup to my own message!

Ealier today, I got the announcement of the new release of 4.0-RELEASE
from Jordan. "Ah-ah!" I thought, "The solution to my troubles! So my
pleas for help did not fall upon deaf ears!" Or at least, I thought I
was not the only one having troubles.

With anticipation of bringing my familiar old Pentium machine back to
life, I quickly downloaded the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp and wrote them
on the old, troublesome 4.0 floppies. I booted the kern.flp; no
problems there, but there had not been before. I put in the
mfsroot.flp when asked and watch the little bar spin until I get to
the kernel configuration.

I quickly went through the configuration menu removing devices that I
do not need, save the changes, and after a deep breath... I hit 'Y'
to save the changes and continue...

  *click*

And cccckkkeeeeeerrrrrrrraaaaaaaassssssssshhhhhhhhh...

I get the same @#$% error that I quoted below.

Now, I try to get fancy. I rebooted from floppies and disabled the
first IDE controller in the kernel configuration since it is the one
with two devices, and it is not even the one with the disk I want to
put BSD on. But no joy, I get the same error.

Finally, just for kicks, I disabled _both_ IDE controllers in the
kernel configuration, but I _still_ got the error I quote below. It
still splurts out the atapci0 stuff and panics.

So... Anyone, anyone at all, have any ideas what I can do? Has anyone
else seen this to prove that I am not in the keeper of a cruel and
evil machine possesed by some dark daemon?

Thanks for reading my follow up to my follow up to my own message.