Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:40:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/24703: libusb - new port - MAINTAINER - shar archive attached

The following reply was made to PR ports/24703; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To: John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
Cc: Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:35:45 -0500

 --7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k

 On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 02:27:10PM -0700, John Reynolds wrote:
 > Not that I'm aware of, though I don't pretend to know the intricacies of =
 it
 > all. From what I can gather, our own "libusb" which resides in /usr/lib m=
 ight
 > provide all that's necessary to talk to USB devices. I have never
 > tried. However, programs originally written under Linux that were hacked
 > together when their USB kernel was coming along, started using "their"
 > libusb. It is a specific "userland" API that the programs have been writt=
 en
 > to. My favorite of these is S10sh (http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/s10sh.htm=
 l).=20
 > When I originally compiled this program I tried to link it against "our"
 > libusb to no avail. Only recently after the efforts of Richard Tobin, do
 > things now "work" since S10sh, gphoto, etc. all use "their" libusb API.

 It sucks that libusb isn't as standardized as I thought it was.

 > This is as much as I know, not being an authoritative expert. I just know=
  "it
 > works" and finally had the time to roll a port of the library (I received
 > commit priv's on the libusb project in order to get it "cleaned up" for
 > FreeBSD which is happening slowly).

 Wow, that's cool that someone can directly influence the tree for
 FreeBSD.  Let me know if you need help.  I am fairly desperate to get my
 Kodak DC290 camera to work; libgphoto2 looks cool, but it doesn't work
 for various reasons (like the fact that their configure scripts are
 fucked up due to some weird autoconf thing).

 --=20
 wca

 P.S. Your mailer's wrapping is too large; I can't display 80 characters
      w/o wrapping.

 --7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k

 --7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k--