Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 19:52:33 +0800
From:      Victor Tsang <victor.tsang@ieee.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPPoE and nat

I am new to FreeBSD and it is my first time to install FreeBSD.

I installed FreeBSD 4.0 and am going to configure PPPoE and NAT. I
followed the instructions found in FreeBSD.org web site and man pages
and easily get PPPoE work. However, NAT don't work and its behavior is
strange.

My environment is one FreeBSD running as gateway, connecting my LAN and
ISP using PPPoE and there is a Macintosh running Darwin in the LAN for
my testing purpose.

Either I don't enable NAT in rc.conf, or set ppp_nat="YES" , the
behaviors are the same:

In Macintosh, when I telnet to outside world, I can see the login screen
and login prompt. Once I key in the user name and password, there is
nothing to show on screen and eventually the telnet timeout and
disconnected.

Similarly in ftp: I can login ftp server but get no response after
playing a very short while.
ftp> user anonymous 123@123
ftp> dir
(show something)
ftp> cd pub
(OK.)
ftp> dir
(no response! I tested for about 4-5 sites. All are "die" in dir the
/pub directory.)

I suspect two possibilities:
1. only the first packet (mtu or mur?) are transmitted successful but
the subsequent packets are failed.
2. Something wrong in telnet and ftp packet translation.

However, I have no clue on how to proceed futher. The /var/log/alias.log
shows nothing helpful.