Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:16:22 -0500
From:      Richard DeLaurell <richard.delaurell@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "unable to completely remove directory" during deinstall

This is undoubtedly a very "newbie" question, but I have seen this type of
error
a few times recently:

pkg_delete: unable to completely remove directory '/directory.name'
pkg_delete: couldn't entirely delete package (perhaps the packing list is
incorrectly specified?)

It occurs at the end of a "deinstall" as a matter of updating a port "by
hand".

What is the proper procedure to correct this? Run "pkgdb -F"? Rm the
offending files/dirs by hand? Both?

The updated packages seem to run okay afterward if I ignore these errors;
however, I am certain that they
are really just swept under the carpet for the time being and will reemerge
in the future (at a moment of maximum inconvenience no doubt).

Also, is "make deinstall" the same as "uninstall"?

Sorry, I guess I had two newbie questions.

Thanks for your help.

Richard