Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:27:37 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@zone.syracuse.NET>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Alex G. Bulushev" <bag@sinbin.demos.su>, Daniel Rock <rock@cs.uni-sb.de>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current NFS problem

> I've done some NFS experimentation on my box, and basically, I try to test
> a lot of the new technologies (and older) in FreeBSD. Some of the less
> successful combos I've tried were:
> 	mount_union anything
> 	NFS mounting and beating on the FS
> 	floppies with softupdates
> 	2 vnode pan60's on 2 SoftUpdates partitions, CCD'd, and made ino a
> new fs, beat on
> 	etc.
> And beating on as defined something like:
> #!/bin/sh
> i=0
> while [ $i -le 100 ]; do
>         mkdir $i
>         cd $i
>         i=`expr $i + 1`
>         p=0
>         while [ $p -le 100 ]; do
>                 date > a$p
>                 p=`expr $p + 1`
>         done
> done
> But I fear these are just the wild experiments of a 15-year-old :-)

The "wild experiment" part is stopping here.  Now you have a big list
of things that need to be fixed, and firsthand experience at working
out how to identify what needs to be fixed.

In order to mature, you have to learn to fix them.  Right now you're
blessed with being able to sleep only 3-4 hours a night, so you've got
plenty of time to get on with it.  8)