Date:      Sun, 08 Sep 2002 19:02:01 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
>> > No, you claim that I can, but that if I do, it "stifles communication
>> > into stagnicity"
>>
>> I also claim that you can't, but I'm unwilling to provide examples.
>> Your also assert that you can predict the behavior of any arbitrary
>> group of humanity, and I think this is similarly naive.
>
> Actually, the claim was for any non-arbitrary group of humanity,
> since the specific games in question require a shared Schelling
> point to be predictive.

What makes a group non-arbitrary and gets them to share a Schelling
point?

>> > That it exists without apparent design?
>>
>> You claim "the system functions as designed, or it's not a correct
>> system". Given that nature is a system and given that you can't
>> yet know who designed it, how can you assume it is correct?
>
> I don't.  You are trying to generalized my statement, effectively
> changing "the system" into "all systems".  If you want to generalize,
> you can do so, but the burden of proof is on you, not me, if you
> choose to do that.

Man, I wish I could tap dance like that. ;)

I provided a counter-example, like you wanted, and you tap dance
away. Is it any wonder I don't waste the time to prove anything or
provide testable evidence?

>> > It is fixed; therefore it is *not* arbitrary.
>>
>> What do you mean by "fixed"?
>
> not subject to change or fluctuation.
>
> Antonym: Arbitrary: based on or determined by individual preference
> or convenience rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of
> something <an arbitrary standard>

Well, then I was correct even by this definition. Simple vs complex is
arbitrary.

>> > since I don't see how doing so would benefit me or the group.  As
>> > external observers, we can't fix your world view without your
>> > cooperation.
>>
>> You assume it is broken.
>
> No assumption necessary.

Yes there is. You have to first assume that you in fact have my
worlview (rather than what limited glimpes you get from my
communications).

>> > Why is money required, in your opinion, for someone to be able
>> > to act in a professional manner?
>>
>> Definition of "professional". "Engaging in a given activity as a
>> source of livelihood or as a career".
>
> Why is money required, in your opinion, for someone to be able
> to act in a professional manner?

Definition of "professional". "Engaging in a given activity as a
source of livelihood or as a career".

(Hmm, a sloop.)

>> > That's a problem for the people with the minority view, isn't it?
>>
>> There's also a problem for people who take refuge in mobs...er the
>> majority viewpoint. As an obvious counterexample, this means you
>> have to consider Britney Spears a good musician.
>
> If the alternative is being burned at the stake for heresy,  I
> can pretend...

See? You aren't willing to give your life for the truth. ;)

>> > Makes it really hard to proselytize...
>>
>> You can't approach the Truth from the platform of the Mob.
>
> Or that of the individual nut-job...

The only place you can approach the Truth is from the individual point
away from the mob.

>> > You forgot your demand to be permitted access to the forum in
>> > order to be able to comment...
>>
>> That's not a demand, it's a request. =P
>
> Request denied.  8-).

Yer not the authority. =P

>> > Sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "LA LA LA!" at the
>> > top of yout lungs doesn't make a problem go away.
>>
>> Just where did I suggest that? This is nothing like what I am
>> suggesting, which is a quick press of a particular key on your
>> keyboard. ;)
>
> "LA LA LA!" <presses key> "I CAN'T READ YOU!"

Ah! That "<presses key>" adds an action to your original presentation.
In fact, you don't need to sing or shout, you can just <press the key>
and get more effective results. |)

>> > No.  Merely use techniques which I respect.
>>
>> Still, your respect is involved and not your awareness.
>
> I am aware my respect is involved.

But apparently not aware that your respect is required.

>> > Yes, they are.  And your point is what?  That the correct, but less
>> > simple, explanation might get lost in the noise?
>>
>> The complexity of the solution is irrelevant to it's measured
>> effectiveness.
>
> The effectiveness was granted with the conditional "which fits
> all the facts".

That conditional is irrelavent to "simple".

>> > You've communicated your preference.  What now?
>>
>> What, indeed? I find it interesting that our banter has produced a
>> -real- religious debate as a child. I think this is indicative of
>> the unagreeability of our respective positions. ;)
>
> Or it's a subtle commentary on your argumentative style...

Or it's a subtle commentary on YOUR argumentative style... =)
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.  There
might be a law against it by that time.