Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:15:41 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail-in.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pkg-comment && pkg-descr && distinfo

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:06:31 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Will Andrews wrote:
> >
> > So Doug,
> >
> > Are you going to take my offer?
>
> 	Yeah, sorry, I forgot to respond to your e-mail. I'm hoping to work this
> up on the weekend.
>
>  Do the script to automagically
> > calculate all MD5 checksums and put it in the Makefile
> > flawlessly (probably needs a manual override, of course), and
> > I will do all the patchwork (some will be involved) and Makefile
> > updates in the ENTIRE ports tree to adjust for the changes.
> >
> > I'm serious.

Hey folks, please hold on. There was absolutely no discussion
about moving distinfo into makefiles and frankly speaking I do
not see much point in doing that. Yes, this will save some amount
of inodes, but it is hardly a good argument. For example that would
break many  port-related tools out there and could make some
things harder in the future. For example people could start using
make(1) variables in the various parts of distinfo, so you will be
unable to parse distinfo w/o using make(1), which will make it a
*very* expensive operation, so things like distclean will take
forever to complete.

Please start discussion by providing your arguments explaining why
we should move into that direction, not from the technical possibility
of the move itself.

-Maxim