Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:41:25 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "shutdown -h now" risk?

At 08:34 PM 8/18/1999 -0700, Dan O'Connor wrote:
>So, I guess the new question is: What's the difference between the way
>"halt" and "reboot" handle shutdowns versus the way "init" does it? And is
>one method preferable over the other?
>
>Enquiring minds want to know...

Enquiring minds should look in the source. If you don't have a local copy
of it, you can browse it via the CVS web interface on www.freebsd.org

/usr/src/sbin/init/init.c
/usr/src/sbin/reboot/reboot.c
/usr/src/sbin/shutdown/shutdown.c

I was going to read through the sources and answer your question, but I
feel I'm woefully inadequate for that task.

One thing I haven't been able to track down was the reboot() system call. I
found /usr/src/lib/libc/i386/sys/reboot.S and /usr/src/lib/libc/i386/SYS.h,
but nowhere could I find what reboot() does.

--Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>