Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:30:55 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help - freesbd diskless boot problems

I'm using the freebsd etherboot port and have placed
the boot image onto a
floppy to allow my Intel Pro100B based system to
network boot.  I have tried
booting an ms-dos floppy image over the network and it
is working fine.

I'm using the ISC v2 DHCP server.

I have compiled a custom freebsd kernel and according
to the information at:
http://etherboot.sourceforge.net/doc/html/freebsd.html

I have added the required kernel bootp support options
to my kernel.
This is what the important part of my dhcpd.conf file
looks like:

option domain-name "jansen.org";
option domain-name-servers 202.167.41.130;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {  range
192.168.0.10 192.168.0.20;
option routers 192.168.0.8;
option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
filename "/tftpboot/kernel.XWORKSTATION";
option
root-path"192.168.0.1:/usr/diskless/rootfs/xworkstation";
 option
option-128
"192.168.0.1:/usr/diskless/swap/swap.xworkstation";

I have made sure that I have exported the /usr
directory with the -alldirs
option.  I have tried NFS mounting this export and it
is working fine.  I've
made sure that all the machines I want to access this
share are able to.

This is the error message I get on the console when
booting the kernel (this
happens a long way into the messages that pop up on
the console):

bootpc-init: using network interface 'fxp0'
bootpc testing starting
bootpc hw address is 0:blah:blah....
bootp timeout for server 0xffffffff

The last line above keeps repeating indefinitely.

Please help me get freeBSD booting diskless.  Let me
know if anymore
information is required.
Thanks.