Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 15:54:53 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Updating BIND 9

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Doug Barton wrote:

> 	A) BIND is more than just named. I frequently want to have both versions
> of BIND available. B) Don't let your lack of vision prevent you from being
> open to learning things beyond your experience.

Thanks for the snippy reply, Doug. Not enjoying your weekend, I take it?
It's not really fair to consider a scenario whereby a FreeBSD system uses
only a single version of BIND (yes, that includes all the binaries and
other files), as if the admin is lacking in vision, or is unable to learn,
or othersuch nonsense. I run BIND 8.2.5, 9.1.3, and 9.2rc4; even BIND 4
gets a look-in, due to a legacy installation that "mustn't be touched".

Of course you should be able to have as many versions of BIND installed as
you wish. That is not the issue, and I certainly never mentioned anything
to do with it. I just asked for the upgrade path to be better documented.

> 	Congratulations, you're the 89,512nd person to suggest that. Please see
> the mail archives for more exciting discussion on the same topic. In any
> case this thread is way off topic for -stable, so this'll be my last
> comment on it.

Thanks, gratuitous flaming like yours is both dull and unnecessary. :-(

--

Regards,

Juha