Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 01:07:47 +0100
From:      phk@freebsd.org
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preview: GEOMs statistics code.

In message <a05200f08ba65f714a4e9@[146.106.12.76]>, Brad Knowles writes:
>At 10:44 PM +0100 2003/02/04, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>>  In difference from the devstat framework which measures how big a
>>  percentage of the time a drive has one or more outstanding requests,
>>  I think that measuring the responstime is a much more useful metric.
>>  (comments, input, references welcome)
>
>	This is queue depth versus latency, right?  I don't suppose a
>request to provide both would hold any weight with you, would it?

I'm 100% wide open to suggestions.  Anything I can trivally account
for is fair game.

I don't have a queue-depth as such, but I have number of transactions
in transit.  Will a snapshot of that at the time of the read do
what you want ?  I am too sleepy to know if that will allow you to
calculate the average number of outstanding requests precisely.

Ohh, another thing I should add:

I won't be locking the stats counters, so reads may get inconsistent
results.

There is no risk for the updates, because all the updating happens in
the g_up thread, so there is no contention for changing the kernel
fields.

The risk is that the copy passed to userland may happen in the
middle of an update and therefore have a field with a weird value
which will look OK at the next reading.

The risk is quite small because the g_up thread has higher priority than
anything coming in from userland will ever have.

Poul-Henning