Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:56:09 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Mark V Bermal <mbermal@ieng9.ucsd.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Olympus/Smart Media/USB Camera

Mark V Bermal <mbermal@ieng9.ucsd.edu> types:
> Hello,
>
> I am in the market for a digital camera, and some of the models I have
> looked at are from Olympus, which uses SmartMedia (not Compact Flash) as
> the memory and also USB is available. I searched the archives and found
> that a certain Sandisk Compact Flash reader works on FBSD using USB (as a
> umass device), but has anyone found a working reader (or one that more
> than likely will work) for reading SmartMedia cards? Alternatively, has
> anyone hooked up an Olympus camera through USB directly using the umass
> device? What is the filesystem on the cards?

As other have stated, the file system is FAT. I've got an Olympus
camera, and use a Fujitsu SM-R2 reader - the SM-R1 has also been
reported to work - to read the SmartMedia cards from it.

You have to use camcontrol eject to get the drive to stop being
"ready" so you can take the card out. That's a minor inconvenience,
and makes me wish that "mount" had an "eject" option.

If you've got a SCSI system, there are other headaches, but those are
shared by all the USB media readers.

> P.S. Please cc me a reply, I am not on the list.

That's SOP on the list.

	<mike