Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:12:44 -0700
From:      hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        System Administrator <pe@pe.lssu.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NCR box and FreeBSD

Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, System Administrator wrote:
> > So, I try to put FreeBSD-2.1.5 on it but it doesn't work. It froze on me
> > when it show the line npx0. Do you know what should i do?
>
> MCA?? so this box is Microchannel?
> Guess what -- Microchannel machines aren't supported.

i had that problem with a machine (i'm 97% sure it was npx0),
and it was a 386sx.  the best answer i could find is that the
stock fpu emulator was not well.  i do have 2.1.5 running on
many other sx's though ...  what was interesting is that by
snapping in a 387, according to my boss, the machine booted
fine!  i got advice to compile gnu's fpu emulation into
the kernel. (newsgroups)