Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:50:10 -0600
From:      "Laurence Berland" <laurence@isp.northwestern.edu>
To:        "Chris Johnson" <cjohnson@palomine.net>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Safe SSH logins from public, untrusted Windows computers

> This isn't exactly FreeBSD-security-related, but it's certainly
> security-related, and I think it's likely to be of interest to
> many of the list
> members.
>
> I spend a lot of time in hotels, and most of them have Internet
> centers with
> Windows computers for the use of hotel guests. It's easy enough
> to download a
> copy of PuTTY and hide it in the Windows directory so that I can make SSH
> logins to my various remote servers.
>
> I worry, however, about trojans and keyboard sniffers and what-have-you
> monitoring my keystrokes, so I don't feel particularly safe doing
> this. So I
> thought I might stick a DSA key, encrypted with a passphrase used
> only for that
> particular key, on a floppy disk, and use that to log in. Without
> the floppy
> disk, the passphrase, if sniffed or recorded, would be useless.
>
> Question: if I plan on doing any work as root, would I be better
> off setting
> PermitRootLogin to without-password and logging in directly as
> root, instead of
> following the common practive of logging in as a regular user and
> then su-ing?
> su-ing would require that I type the password, and that's what
> I'm trying to
> avoid.

sudo would avoid the password without leaving you open to people trying to
hack in as a known username (root).  My real suggestion would be skey.  It's
designed for precisely this sort of situation I think.  No disks, no trust
mechanisms, just a simple password that you write down on a card.  The
password is uesless after use, so no problems there...