Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:45:44 +0200
From:      "HEITMEIER, MICHAEL (HP-Germany,ex1)" <michael_heitmeier@bbn.exch.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Successes

Hi all,

Since -newbies is also for boasting ;-) I just want to sound off the great
feeling I had after the installation of a Soundblaster AWE64 went really
well. And let me tell you that I was more than frightened by building my
first kernel to include the necessary devices. Following the instructions
makes it a piece of cake however.

In addition I installed KDE over the weekend. Wow. Now I understand two
things: that MS Windows really is a limited piece of software. No wonder
they are trying to bundle (or deeply embed) other functionality, by itself
the user interface is pretty limited.

I now also understand why senior Unix people have such reservations when it
comes to Windows or GUI's in general: Even after just a few months of
running FreeBSD at most with plain X I was suddenly, thanks to KDE, so far
away from the system I understood and was in complete control over.
Graphical user interfaces must seem almost frightening to those who are
never quite sure (or trusting) what goes on if they 'click' on something...

Anyway, for other enterprising souls here are the references I used to help
me accomplish the above:
* The third edition of the Complete FreeBSD book.
* Installation of KDE from the first FreeBDS 3.2 CD (which has a slight bug,
some KDE packages require kdelib-1.0 which is not on the CD, only 1.1.1)
* Conrad Sabatier's instructions for SB setup at
http://members.home.net/conrads/awepnp-freebsd.html
<http://members.home.net/conrads/awepnp-freebsd.html>;  (which also has a
slight problem, kernel.config is called kernel.conf and is in /boot, not
root (/) as suggested on the page, also on my system there is no boot.conf
but it seems to be happy without it)

In summary an altogether very satisfying FreeBSD Sunday afternoon :-)

Michael