Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 15:27:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, drifter@stratos.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

>	based upon reading madison, jefferson and other FF's (founding
>	fathers), the second amendment to the constitution was enacted
>	in order to guarantee the citizentry's ability to oppose
>	a tyrannical government, and thereby prevent that government
>	from forming.

Fair.

>	ownership  of small arms is insufficient for the task.
>	if one embraces the purpose of the second amendment, rather
>	then just the language, we must allow the citizentry to own
>	heavy weapons.  no one that i know of advocates this.

I feel that a rag tag militia that has heart and the support of the
population is incredibly difficult to defeat. I have heard commanders of
the South East Asian theater make this statement.

I feel that an auto loading rifle is sufficient for the purpose of
opposing tyranny. This is a personal opinion.

>	what would it have availed the chinese students to have
>	small arms in tianamen (sp) square.  it would not have
>	forestalled action by the gov't.

No it would not have forstalled the government. Here I will avoid
discussion (I am a proponent) of civil disobedience as an instrument of
power. Still, if the citizens of the nation of China were given the
weapons that the only the civilians of the US owns, there would be a shift
in power.

>	the narrow reading of the second amendment leaves us with
>	the high death rate by shooting that we have in the US
>	without the means to effectively oppose the govt.
>	the worst of both.   ugh.

Ugg perhaps. Still, I will not disavow the rights granted me under the
Constitution.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/