Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:39:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Pete Fritchman <petef@netreach.net>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question: Preventing Smurf

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Pete Fritchman wrote:

> so let me get this straight...
>
> if your gateway is ping'able you *CAN* be a smurf relay?

	I'm not sure.  I would image that would depend on several
	variables...such as what type of smurf program they are using,
	or if they are just flood pinging your broadcast address.  WHat
	your 'gateway' is and how it handles ICMP firewalling/filtering.

	Ping packets shouldn't be hitting your broadcast or your BSD box.
	There are other ICMP types but none (that I can think of) should
	be broadcasting to your whole network.  If there is... then I
	retract my previous statement and apologize, but I can't think of
	any.

	I've seen whole networks dropped to the their 'knees' because of
	machines answering ping packets on the broadcast.  You should also
	block this on your border routers and WAN interfaces.  But this
	ipfw rule helps if someone is attacking on your internal network.

> Pete Fritchman             petef@netreach.net
> Netreach                     www.netreach.net
> System Administrator
>
> On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Nick Rogness wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, N.N.M wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for your reply. That is the point: I disable net.inet.icmp.bmcastecho
> > > (=0) on a freebsd box with the IP, i.e. x.x.11.18. But when I use broadcast
> > > ping (ping x.x.11.255) on another pc (i.e. x.x.11.17) on the same Ethernet,
> > > the first machine which is not supposed to reply to the ping, will reply! So
> > > I thought I might need another thing to disable that or maybe using
> > > broadcast ping on the same Ethernet isn't a good way to test it or ......
> > > Any idea?
> >

> >  # Deny icmp packets from hitting broadcast
> >   ipfw add 3000 deny log icmp from any to x.x.11.255/32 in via de0
> >

> > > Nazila M.

 This will prevent you from