Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 19:38:36 -0800
From:      brian@worldcontrol.com
To:        bsd@smmc.qld.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does freeBSD2.7 support ISDN?

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 12:10:45PM +1000, bsd@smmc.qld.edu.au wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I am a lazy typist...   FreeBSD

> I have a question. Apparently an isdn router can switch on demand 64 k
> to 128k. (some or all I don't know)

> I am now aware that ppp.conf can be configured to AT commands
> for 64 or 128....My question is, can FreeBSD switch on demand as
> well? Is there a script to write or does iijPPP somehow support
> this?

I depends on what you mean by 'switch on demand'. You probably mean
when the 1st B channel is saturated you'd like the 2nd B channel to
be brought up automatically.  I am not aware of a way to do this with
the user land ppp (iijPPP).  However, I wouldn't doubt that that
functionality is transparently supported in some of the ISDN TAs.

> Someone mentioned these ...synchronous serial port

the 16650 and Hayes ESP are async serial ports. There seems to be
a lot of endless confusion about ISDN and serial ports.

ISDN is synchronous. If you send 8 bits out and ISDN port, out
go 8 bits, which arrive at the other end.

If you send an 8 bit byte out an async serial port, the serial port
adds a start and a stop bit to the data being sent.  Thus each byte
sent uses 10 bits "on the wire".  At the other end of an async
connection the extra bits are stripped off.

Thus, with an async serial port running at 115200 bits/second you
can really only cram 92,160 data bits/second over the wire.  The
other 23,040 bits are wasted on the start and stop bits.

By using a 230400 bits/second serial port you can cram 184,320
real data bits across this wire per second, which is more than
enough to fully utilize the 128,000 bits/second available via a
2B channel ISDN data call.

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>