Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 01:10:19 +0000
From:      bill clarke <wlclarke@cats.ucsc>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        wlclarke@cats.ucsc.edu
Subject:   intranet/internet routing

--------------794BDF32446B9B3D2781E494

dear FreeBSD community

i have a question about routing packets via user PPP. (i am running
routed -q)

i have two FreeBSD boxes on an ethernet with internal addresses
10.0.0.1 (a server called neutron) and 10.0.0.2 (a client called
neutrino).

the server is at IP 205.199.113.103 and i can connect to my provider
gateway capts.znet.net (205.199.113.253) by user PPP.

i have my server set up as a gateway, and my default route on the
client set up as 10.0.0.1

i can ping the provider gateway 205.199.113.253 from the server,
and i can ping the server from the client over the ethernet.

here's the problem: i cannot ping my provider gateway 205.199.113.253
from the client 10.0.0.2 even though netstat -r says all the required
routes appear to exist.

fyi i have attached the output of netstat -r for the server and client
respectively.

any help would be appreciated

thanks,

neutron

--------------794BDF32446B9B3D2781E494

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default          capir.znet.net     UGSc        4       77      tun0
10               link#1             UC          1        0
neutron          LOCALHOST          UGHS        1       10       lo0
neutrino         0:0:b4:72:93:5f    UHLW        1       15       ed0   1017
10.0.0.255       link#1             UHLW        1       16
LOCALHOST        LOCALHOST          UH          1        0       lo0
neutron          LOCALHOST          UH          0        0       lo0
capts.znet.net   neutron            UH          1        0      tun0
BASE-ADDRESS.MCA link#1             UCS         0        0

--------------794BDF32446B9B3D2781E494

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default          neutron            UGSc        0       86       ed0
10               link#1             UC          1        0
neutron          0:0:b4:72:a7:a4    UHLW        3       34       ed0    975
neutrino         localhost          UGHS        0        0       lo0
localhost        localhost          UH          1      810       lo0
205.199.113.253  neutron            UGHS        1       36       ed0
224              link#1             UCS         0        0

--------------794BDF32446B9B3D2781E494--