Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 02:04:54 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux RPM on FreeBSD, anyone doing this?

> On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > I'm struggling with the IBM DB2 installer at the moment; they're
> > wholesale sold on the RPM thing, which isn't necessarily a bad idea,
> > however it means amongst other things that you need a functional rpm on
> > your system, as well as a pile of RPMs installed (including some of the
> > base system ones).
> >
> > The rpm binary from RedHat's 5.2 release segfaults on exit,
> > unfortunately, which upsets the installer no end...
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> /usr/ports/misc/rpm? I've only ever used this to install one RPM package, but
> it seemed to work.
>
> Or am I missing the point?

If you can tell me how to coerce it so that it will use /compat/linux
as the root for all installations, that'd do the trick.  Unfortunately
it appears to be another piece of Quality Linux Software.

Particularly, it appears that you can manipulate the state of *some* of
the commandline options through the /etc/rpmrc file, but not all of
them.  Naturally, none of them are documented, and the sample defaults
file may or may not contain a complete set of examples.

So not so much missing the point as not having yet hit the problems I
have.  It actually seems that the Linux version is working, just
segfaulting on exit, but it looks like basically I have to back to
square one and build a complete linux_lib distball using it, as it's
not possible to coerce it into installing something (Except using a
commandline option, which of course you can't do when it's being called
from inside another binary, and you can't supply the option in a
wrapper script because the option isn't always valid... argh!).