Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 04:32:20 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: User Classes in passwd

On Feb 02, 1997 at 09:15:34AM, Keith Mitchell wrote:
> I don't know if this was an oversight or not, but it looks
> like user classes are implemented everywhere else so I thought
> I would mention it.

No, not "everywhere else" - yet. It isn't complete, and I'm
implementing one step at a time quite deliberately so as not
to create 'urgent' work for myself in multiple places at once
should something break.

It looks at this stage that we'll have to take a longer harder
look at the authentication interface, for example, since "BSDI
compatibility" is no longer possible - they've changed twice
now between the first implementation in BSDI 2.1 and the
(newly or shortly to be released?) 3.0, and look like changing
again for 3.1.

> passwd currently doesn't look in the class database to reset a user's
> password expiration time when they change their password.  In fact,
> in local_password.c there is a comment saying that user classes will
> change the default behavior of just setting the expire time to 0.

Yep. I'll finally modify the passwd(5) manpage when I get to
doing that. :-) It's around 3rd on the todo list, right after
ftpd, so it'll be soon. Most of the remaining items are relatively
trivial or relate to ports.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/