Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:01:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Hartley <mark@whetstonelogic.com>
To:        Jeremy Campbell <campbellj@ctbsonline.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Virtual terminals

Try this:  (after creating the virtual terminal in /dev first of course)

top > /dev/ttyv4 &

Then you can alt-F5 to it.  If you are wanting it to use alt-F9, that would be
/dev/ttyv8.  The & sign is so you get your terminal window back.  Otherwise it
would wait for top to terminate.

To create the virtual terminals:

cd /dev
sh ./MAKEDEV vty5