Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:18:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Server administration <admin@parliament.ge>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: difference between 2.2.2 and others

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Server administration wrote:

> I am the system administrator of the Internet service of the Parliament of
> Georgia. Our LAN is running under the FreeBSD 2.05 .

Working long and hard....

> I would like to replace the version of operating system by the latest
> version
> of FreeBSD. As far as I understand the best choice is
> the FreeBSD2.2.2-RELEASE. Is my choice correct?

Well, 2.2.2 isn't as clean as we'd (I'd?) like it to be.  2.2.1 might be a
better bet (and less of a shock).   Considering how far behind you are, it
may be a better bet to shoot for 2.1.7 first, then up to 2.2.1.  I believe
some major changes came through in 2.1.0 that may affect your filesystems;
you may need to reinstall from scratch. (It may not be a bad idea for such
an old system.)

> Could you please send me an information concerning  the difference  between
> the basic administrative files.

I think the big one was the addition of /etc/sysconfig as a systemwide
configuration file.  Everything else was pretty static.  (In 2.2.2 this
became /etc/rc.conf.)

It's been so long since I ran 2.0.5 (I have the CD still!) I don't
remember all the little changes.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo