Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:54:03 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Ragnar Beer <rbeer@uni-goettingen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lower kern.securelevel

Ragnar Beer <rbeer@uni-goettingen.de> types:
> Thank a lot Mike! That's what I didn't think of. I thought the only
> way to get into single user mode is via 'shutdown'. How can you get
> into single user mode during boot?

Sorry 'bout that - I figured if you knew about securelevel, you would
know that.

Anyway, after you boot, you get a prompt to hit enter to autoboot, or
any other key to stop the boot, and it's got a timer counting
down. This is *after* /boot/loader and the kernel have been loaded. At
that point, just hit "any other key" (I like the biggest one on the
keyboard), and then do "boot -s". The system will come up to single
user mode. You can then work in the lower security mode, and when you
exit that shell the system will finish autobooting.

	<mike