Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:10:53 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, stable@FreeBSD.org, roger@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libc shlib version

Hi all,

> Roger said it breaks precompiled binaries, meaning if you do a make
> world, the new libc_r will not be compatible with some of the old
> binaries.
>
> That sounds like a situation where we need the libc_r shlib version
> to protect us from, no?
>
> Roger, can you clarify?

Yep.

Precompiled binaries for the 5 OpenH323 related ports abort
with "User signal 2" unhandled signal when you try and run
them on FreeBSD 4.2 with the new libc_r library.
The binaries worked fine with the old libc_r library.

I tracked the reason down to some buggy code in the
way OpenH323 used pthreads.
There was a race condition hiding in OpenH323.

Daniel's new pthread library (libc_r) runs the threads in a
slightly different order than the old libc_r did.

The old libc_r hid the bug in OpenH323 as the order
the threads ran happened to mask the race condition.
The new libc_r exposes the bug.

So I do not know if we need a version bump or not.

It is true that old binaries will break on the new
libc_r. But that is because old binaries contained
a bug which the new libc_r exposes.

If we do a version bump, will the old libc_r library
stay installed?
In that case the buggy binaries will match up with the
version of libc_r which hides the bug and will continue
to run.

However, this only affects 5 ports which are all related
and I'm happy to let the old ports break and to ask
the users to upgrade their ports.

I hope this makes sence. If you need any more info
just ask.

Roger