Date:      Fri, 4 Jul 2014 12:44:11 +1000
From:      John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Should 9.3 carry a warning about NEW_XORG

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my notebook (Pentium M - IBM T43) from
9.2-RELEASE to 9.3-RC1.  Upgrade was fine but then I did a regular
upgrade of ports and lost X functionality.  It turns out that the new
X.org ports which were "opt in" in 9.2 are now "opt out" in 9.3, so I
unintentionally upgraded X.org.

I had also upgraded a couple of desktop systems to 9.3-RC1 but had not
yet updated ports on those.  Having experienced the problem on the
notebook, I added WITHOUT_NEW_XORG=3D to /etc/make.conf on the desktops
and they continue to function following ports upgrades.

The purpose of this post to -stable@ is simply to suggest that there be
something done in connection with X.org installation behaviour for
9.3-RELEASE (perhaps at least a warning in the Rlease Notes?) to incline
towards POLA and not have other folks land in this predicament.

--=20
John Marshall

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND--