Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:11:15 -0400
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Friday, September 13, 2002, at 03:43  PM, Neal E. Westfall wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Lawrence Sica wrote:
>
>>> Where does Christianity justify any of this?  A condemnation of a
>>> behavior does not amount to a justification for persecution.  And the
>>> fact that slavery existed in the Bible also does not amount to a
>>> justification of it.
>>>
>> Jesus by his actions lived by not persecuting "Let he who is without
>> sin cas the first stone".  Remember that line?
>
> Yes, I do.  I also remember the context in which he said it.  It was
> not some loosey-goosey "tolerance" of sin.  It was meant to point out
> their hypocrisy and their own sin.

I was saying it was tolerance for the sinners, not the sin.  It is
tolerance of people, not blind persecution.

>> Also the Bible was used
>> as justification by twisting interpretations and making up meanings.
>
> What does this prove, except that man by nature is sinful?

It means that man interprets god how he wishes.

>> The story of Noah and the flood was used to justify slavery at one
>> point.
>
> That would be a pretty interesting feat!  If true, who in the world
> would buy it?

Many did at the time.

>>> If Islam is going to accept the authority of the Christian gospels,
>>> it
>>> does not then have the right to contradict its most fundamental
>>> claims.
>>> Claiming that every religion has its contradictions does not make it
>>> so.
>>> Islam defeats itself on *it's own* terms.
>>>

>> This does not answer the question, what exactly does the Koran say?
>
> Muslims do not think that God would allow his prophet to be killed.  As
> such, they think that God took Jesus directly to heaven.  Surah
> 4:157-158
> states: "That they said (in boast), 'We killed Christ Jesus the son of
> Mary, the Messenger of Allah' -- but they killed him not, nor crucified
> him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein
> are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to
> follow, for of a surety they killed him not -- nay, Allah raised him up
> unto Himself."

   What you stated here doesn't answer where it says they think the
Bible is canon.

>>> I can just see it now, everybody is going to jump in with their list
>>> of 101 bible contradictions.  I've been there and done that, folks.
>>> You know, maybe we ought to treat the Bible just like any other piece
>>> of literature, and if two passages *can* be interpreted in such a way
>>> as to make them not blatantly contradictory, maybe we ought to accept
>>> that interpretation, eh?
>>>
>> You brought this up, if you bring it up expect others to point out
>> things.
>
> And my point stands.  If you are going to claim that two passages are
> contradictory, you need to show that there is no possible way that they
> can be reconciled with regard to contextual issues.  You only have a
> true contradiction if what is asserted in both cases is at the same
> time and in the same relationship.

My point was if you complain about other religions being contradictory
be prepared to have your own religions contradictions pointed out, and
complaining about others doing so is not productive.

--Larry