Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:19:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vi in F4.2-S

I have been using vi for a very long time and often like to run it inside
of a screen session, but lately I have had display problems.  In F3.4 I
was fine and I have not changed my SSH client or any of my shell
settings.  I just now started to have problems.

I am in a session with vi editing a perl script and as I arrow down the
cursor actually goes up and the entire screen is not displayed.  It
appears that the first several lines will display while the lower part
just goes blank.  I have to continually hit control-l to get the screen to
refresh.

I am unsure if this is an issue with vi or screen but it seems to happen
with or without screen.  It is hard to test it as it seems
sporadic.

I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.  Can it be
corrected?  Am I doing something wrong?

Before I put this new FreeBSD server up in place of my old server I was
sure to sync and run make world so I should have a very solid version in
place.

Any help is appreciated.

Brennan Stehling - software developer and system administrator
  my projects:
       home.offwhite.net (free personal hosting)
       www.greasydaemon.com (bsd search)
       beta.mymilwaukee.com (initial mockup)
       beta.sncalumni.com (initial mockup)