Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2008 23:03:46 -0800
From:      "Nerius Landys" <nlandys@gmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg config

>        I've followed the installation instructions in the book FreeBSD 6
> Unleashed and (finally) gotten it installed.  Now I proceed to the
> setting up of X, where the book says to log in as root, and type Xorg
> -configure .  I do that and get a response something like Xorg command
> not known.  During the installation, I selected Install it all including
> X.  This is version 6.3 by the way.  And this is about the 3rd or 4th
> attempt at installation on this HDD.  Some help would be appreciated.

Below is an interaction with my shell.  I'll explain what I'm doing
afterwards.

 nlandys@sylvester# which Xorg
/usr/local/bin/Xorg
nlandys@sylvester# pkg_info -W /usr/local/bin/Xorg
/usr/local/bin/Xorg was installed by package xorg-server-1.4_3,1
nlandys@sylvester# pkg_info -do xorg-server-1.4_3,1
Information for xorg-server-1.4_3,1:

This package contains the X.Org X server and some associated programs.

WWW: http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xorg

- Eric Anholt
anholt@FreeBSD.org

Origin:
x11-servers/xorg-server

nlandys@sylvester#

What I'm doing is trying to see which package the file 'Xorg' belongs to,
and I'm trying to get some information about that package.  What I found out
is that the file in question belongs to the package xorg-server-1.4_3,1, and
that if you have the ports tree installed, the ports directory would be
/usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server/.  So if you want to check to see if the
package which provides the file 'Xorg' is installed on your system, issue
the command 'pkg_info | grep xorg-server'.  If you see output then the
package you need is already installed.  Otherwise install the package
'xorg-server' in one of two ways: either install the pre-built binary [port]
by issuing the command 'pkg_add -r xorg-server' or build the port from
source by going to /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server/ and doing a 'make
install clean'.  I don't know why you didn't succeed in installing
'xorg-server' during your installation if that was indeed your intent.

Instead of taking my advice above you really ought to read the Handbook
section on packages and ports:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html  You
can learn a lot and the documentation if really excellent.