Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:43:23 -0700
From:      Dave Haas <dave@netguy.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: IBM Thinkpad T20 rejects FreeBSD  Was: FreeBSD 4.1 on IBM Thi nkpad T20

I've had the same problem on my T20. The system came pre-installed with
Win2K, which I dumped for RedHat, which I dumped for FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE.
During the install I partitioned half the drive, planning to install Win2K
on the remaining half. I opted for BootMgr for OS boot-time management.
After the FreeBSD install completed, the computer was useless. Couldn't boot
from floppy, CD, or hard drive. Couldn't enter BIOS Setup, couldn't F12 into
boot device options. If I removed the hard drive I was able to boot from
floppy, cd, enter BIOS, etc. Put the drive back in, dead.

I had IBM ship me a second, virgin hard drive. On the second drive I
partitioned the first half of the drive and installed Win2KPro. I worked
perfectly through multiple reboots. Later that day I did another FreeBSD
install. I used the remaining half of the hard drive, partitioned it, again
chose BootMgr for OS boot-time selection. After the FreeBSD installation
completed I rebooted. Once again the laptop was unusuable. Same exact
behavior as described above.

Presently the only way I've found to make the drives usuable again was to
plug the Thinkpad hard drives into my desktop system using a 44-to-40 pin
adapter. Once the drives were were installed in my desktop system I was able
to boot from both drives. BootMgr worked correctly. Both operating systems
worked perfectly. I was able to recover data from Win2K. After recovering
data I used traditional methods for making the drives bootable again
(reinstalling OSes, fdisk, fdisk /mbr, reformat, etc). None of these methods
made the drives bootable in the Thinkpad, but at least the laptop reported
back with an "operating system not found" error instead of being wholly
unusable. I was finally able to boot from the T20 floppy, and in the end I
was forced to use a hard drive wipe program (wipe.com) which wrote zeroes to
the first 8GB of the hard drive. Post wipe, Win2K installed and booted
successfully.

The rep at IBM Tech Support claims that IBM is aware of this problem. He
claimed that FreeBSD was "writing the boot sector somewhere above the usual
boot sector location". His explanation doesn't make sense, and he was unable
to provide me with any specifics...

Dave Haas, Director of Network Operations
daveh@bootlegnetworks.com --or-- dave@netguy.org