Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:38:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        "Henning, Brian" <brian.henning@navitaire.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root partition

Hi, Henning -

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Henning, Brian wrote:

> I keep having a problem with filling up my root partition. I combine / and
> /var with 150M of space. Is that enough space? I don't copy files to this
> partition so I don't really know how it would fill up? Should I just create
> a bigger partition or is there something I am missing here?

Check where '/tmp' and '/var/spool' (sorry if that's a linuxism - I'm
writing from a RH box.) are mounted. You can generate big files in these,
so you may want to soft-link them to a partition (slice) with generous
free space. In particular, when the partition holding '/tmp' fills up you
can lose some important functions: 'xdm' and even 'login'.

I would keep '/' modest in size and put the 'dump' elsewhere, but that's
just my taste.

That may give you some more ideas, one of which might actually solve your
problem.

Cheers.
 - John Mills