Date:      Sat, 31 May 2014 16:29:09 -0400
From:      "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@tysdomain.com>
To:        gyliamos@gmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh + su problem

On 5/31/2014 3:42 PM, Will Parsons wrote:
> I have a problem in that I cannot su to root on a FreeBSD machine
> remotely from a Windows machine.  Note that the user I'm logging in as
> *is* a member of the wheel group (and I can su locally just fine).
> Symptoms are:
>
> % su
> Password:
> su: Sorry
> %
>
> Although I *think* the purpose of the sshd option "PermitRootLogin" is
> to (dis)allow *direct* root ssh logins, I changed it to "yes" anyway
> in sshd_config, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

The point of that directive is to not allow people to log in as root. It does not affect whether you
can su once you're logged in, just prevents people from logging in as root as the first user.

  I'm inclined to think this a server-side configuration issue, since I
get the same result whether I use Cygwin ssh or PuTTY to log in
remotely to the FreeBSD machine.

Check out /var/log/auth.log and see if there are any messages--that might shed some light on the problem.

  Any ideas of what might be wrong?

--
Take care,
Ty