Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:51:36 -0500
From:      Nathan Ahlstrom <nrahlstr@winternet.com>
To:        Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New package system (was Re: Sanity regained -- back with the best)

>> Speaking of which, what is the status of FreeBSD's new
>> ports/packages system?
>
> When I last inquired, the new code was not far enough along to leave the
> nest yet.  The other concern is it requires egcs (template support is
> key I believe,) and a few other tools which had not imported into the
> tree yet.  This was sometime around 3.1-RELEASE.
>
> Jordan provided this information.  Please forgive me if I am
> paraphrasing incorrectly.  An update would be helpful.

ftp://zippy.cdrom.com/pub/libh.tar.gz

This is a sorta working snapshot of the new sysinstall stuff (I think
it also has the package stuff in it too).  You need egcs, tcl, qt, and
tvision.

Jordan didn't want to be bothered by lots of people asking how to compile
it.  I did get some of it running, so if you need to ask some questions,
let me know.  [See the thread on -hackers Re: Lizard... from a few weeks
ago]

The bottom line is that it looks damn cool, but the code is a bitch to read
and follow.  ;-)

Nathan

--
Nathan Ahlstrom                        FreeBSD: http://www.FreeBSD.org/