Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 16:37:16 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        rjesup@wgate.com (Randell Jesup)
Cc:        groudier@club-internet.fr (Gerard Roudier), winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd), scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Driver for GDT6517RD RAID controller

Randell Jesup wrote...
> 	My main interests lie more in performance, support for weird-ass
> SCSI devices (I learned a LOT being the primary SCSI person at Commodore,
> and also in qualifying drives for production), and finding out if FreeBSD
> supports Section 10 of CAM (target mode), since I was one of the people who
> wrote that section.  If it doesn't, I may look at adding support to (a) SIM
> for that.  I had some of the (NCR) code written to do so for the 710; that
> code might be applicable, or serve as a guideline.

It looks like target mode is covered in section 11 of the CAM-2 spec and
section 12 of the CAM-3 spec.

In any case, FreeBSD does support target mode.  The only chips it currently
works for are the Adaptec 7890/1 and 7896/7.  It may also work on the 7895,
although I'm not positive about that.  (Justin would know.)  Those are the
only Adaptec chips with the instruction space needed to fit the target mode
Adaptec firmware.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry