Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:45:29 -0400
From:      drifter@stratos.net
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, drwho@xnet.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alt key in text mode...

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 09:00:52AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> >Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:12:03 -0500
> >From: "M. Maxwell" <drwho@xnet.com>
>
> >Ok, I'm getting a little irritated about this one.
>
> >I need to get the Alt key to work in text mode.  Right now, I try typing:
>
> >  Alt+BackSpace
>
> >Nothing happens.

	That's because FreeBSD defaults to using a key map which doesn't
use ALT keys. The way to solve this is to have FreeBSD load a keymap that
does use ALT keys.
	This can be done most conveniently in /etc/rc.local via the
kbdcontrol command. man kbdcontrol for details...
	But, basically, if you include a line like this:

	/usr/sbin/kbdcontrol -l /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/MyCoolAltMap,

then kbdcontrol will load in that map file.  There are many files in
/usr/share/syscons/keymaps that can be loaded.  Look around, but becareful
to load the correct keymap with -l, otherwise you might experience some
unexpected results!
	Note, I was not able to find a keymap that best suited me, so I
had to actually handcraft one.  If you still haven't solved this problem,
I can email you a copy...

	-Rob

> It *might* be of some use if you were to mention what precisely what
> behavior you were wanting/expecting from that particular key combination.
>
> After all, the VT-100s I've seen don't even *have* an "Alt" key.
>
> >Instead, I have to hit escape, backspace.
>
> Well, that would accomplish an "escape sequence," which may or may not
> have any relation to anything else.
>
> >Not only is it annoying, but in Emacs, the annoyance becomes a problem.
>
> I'll take your word for it; I've never had a desire to use Emacs.

	Not a big Emacs fan myself, yet I find Emacs keybindings very
useful on the command line of various shells, including bash, zsh, and
even /bin/sh (with -o emacs set).  It is very annoying using the ESC route...

--
drifter@stratos.nospam.net (remove nospam to send)
	"Am I the only one that cringes every time I hear somebody refer