Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 13:09:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        networx@indigo.ie (Michael Ryan)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP SureStore 2000 -- supported?

Michael Ryan wrote:

> I'm about to buy a HP SureStore Tape 2000 *external* drive.
> Does anybody know if it'll work with FreeBSD 2.1 on a
> Gateway 2000 120MHz Pentium with an Adaptec 2940 PCI
> SCSI adapter?
>
> The drive is SCSI-2.  The spec sheet says the internal version
> works with SunOS 4.x, Solaris 2.x, etc. but the external
> version is not supported, according to the spec.
>
> Am I right in assuming it'll work, as it's a SCSI DAT tape
> drive?

	this drive has been reported to work

Hewlett-Packard HP 1534A
        The boot message identifier for this drive is "HP
HP35470A T503" type 1 removable SCSI 2" "Sequential-Access
density code 0x13, variable blocks".
        This is a DDS-1 tape drive.  DDS-1 is the original DAT
tape format.
        Native capacity is 2GB when using 90m tapes.
        Data transfer rate is 183kB/s.
        The same mechanism is used in Hewlett-Packard's SureStore
2000i tape drive, C35470A DDS format DAT drive, C1534A DDS
format DAT drive and HP C1536A DDS format DAT drive.

	you may want to talk to Gary Crutcher gcrutchr@nightflight.com

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG