Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 19:08:29 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: R-Day, 15th October, 1998 (BST or similar ;-)

> One wonders if Jordan has been busy on working on the bootloader issue...
> Have yet to hear more than "we should" or "we shouldn't" and kernel ELF vs
> aout (ad naseum - which certainly isn't going to happen) are getting rather
> stale.

Actually, Jordan's load is currently split between testing (where most
of my effort right now is) and trying to have something ready for the
Alpha at about the same time.

> Was anything definitive decided?  Or is it going to wait for the next release?

To the very best of my knowledge, it will not be sprung on the
unsuspecting 3.0 release.  Instead, it will probably be turned on as the
default a couple of weeks after the release, so that people tracking 3.0
will transition, but those using 3.0 flat will not.