Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:04:19 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Sander Vesik <sander.vesik@gmail.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: getting to 5.x binary packages

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 09:29:01PM +0300, Sander Vesik wrote:
> Ok, this is a sort of 'getting from A to B' question, except that I
> dont presently have a good idea as to where 'A' is precicely ;-)
>
> It would be nice to have binary packages of jdk 1.4 (or 1.5 i guess,
> but anyways) so that it could be a simple download and hopefully ship
> with one of the 5.x releases. So could anybody tell me if  :

Please read the list archives.

>    * there is a plan (or how to get to one existing)

There is indeed a plan.

>    * what the plan is

The plan is to release binaries as soon as they have been tested.  The
current holdup on 4.x is simply a matter of the time it takes to do the
testing.  Hopefully soon.  The hold up on 5.x is problems with the debug
interface (see the list archives for several discussions on this).  5.x
also currently has problems with the Server VM with gcc 3.4, but we have
some patches that appear to fix that, they just need a little more testing.

>    *  what other java related plans are in FreeBSD

World domination!  Maybe if you could be more specific about what sort of
plans you're interested in... :).

>    * if thereare obvious concrete ways somebody could help

Someone could find out why jdb blows up on 5.x and submit a patch to fix
it.

>    * what these ways would be

See above.

--