Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 08:04:59 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Yanek Korff <yanek@cigital.com>
Cc:        'Mike Hoskins' <mike@adept.org>, Nikhil Mittal <nikhil@east.isi.edu>, questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: upgrading to 4.5-stable ???

> From: Yanek Korff <yanek@cigital.com>
> Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:55:25 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Out of curiosity, are there drawbacks to:
> make buildworld
> make installworld
> make buildkernel ...
> make installkernel ...

First, you have installed a new world which has to run with an old
kernel. This WILL fail in some cases and is almost impossible to
gracefully back out of. (Last major case was an update of GNU
utilities at about V4.1.)

Second, your have installed world and rebuilt the kernel which puts
you in a really bad position if the new kernel does not work.

I think I could recover with a lot of pain, but others have suggested
that the best recovery from this is to re-install the system from
scratch.

The order recommended in the handbook was discussed at GREAT length to
provide the greatest immunity to failures in the process and the
easiest recovery if things go wrong, as they will some times.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)