Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:50:05 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wei Hua Ni <whni@mie.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Asking for help

On Tuesday, 12 October 1999 at 16:42:01 -0400, Wei Hua Ni wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>  Recently I installed FreeBSD 3.1 on my IBM clone machine, which has an
> AMD-K6/233 CPU, 64 MB RAM and MS windows 98 as well. The installation
> process was fine, but I can’t make my bubble jet printer (Canon’s BJ-200ex)
> to work with FreeBSD 3.1. I followed the instructions on chapter 14 of The
> Complete FreeBSD (2 second edition) and section 7 of FreeBSD handbook. I
> checked for the existence of all the directories and files mentioned in file
> /etc/printcap, seeing no problem, but the result of command \223lptest 20 5 |
> lpr\224 is always two line error messages. One is \223lpr: connect: No such file
> or directory\224, another line is \223job queued, but cannot start daemon\224. If I
> issue command \223 lptest > /dev/lpt0\224, the result is full page of digits and
> characters. I don’t know what I did wrong or what step I missed, could you
> give some hints?

Well, first, please don't use Microsoft non-standard characters in
your mail.  It makes it very difficult to read.  Given the problems
with Microsoft mailers, you're better off to avoid them altogether.

You don't have the daemon running, as the message says.  Start it
with:

 # lpd

You should also put the following line in /etc/rc.conf:

  lpd_enable="YES"         # Run the line printer daemon.

This information isn't in the second edition of The Book, but it's in
the addenda (see http://www.lemis.com/errata-3.html#older for details
of how to get the addenda in a number of formats).

Greg