Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:12:55 +0100
From:      Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel S5000PAL with RAID problems

Simon wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:01:42 +0100, Fluffles wrote:
>

>> Claude Khalil wrote:
>>

>> Then it's fake RAID; true hardware RAID controllers will never reveil
>> the disks 'behind' the controller. Thus if FreeBSD sees the individual
>> disks you actually are not using true hardware RAID.
>>

> Disks set as JBOD will be seen as individual disks. I'm not saying
> his RAID card is full hardware RAID.
>
> -Simon

Wouldn't that be individual da's? On my Areca controller (which is a
true hardware RAID controller), i can create pass through disk or JBOD;
if i create 8 of those, i do not get ad4 or ad6, but i get da0, da1 ...
da7. Thus; it's still wrapped to the controller. I also cannot directly
access the disk for SMART etc.; those are the characteristics of true
hardware RAID. Unless anyone can prove otherwise, ofcourse.

- v