Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 21:23:59 -0500
From:      Chris Williams <psion@geekspace.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with Ports

I recently installed 2.2.7 on a new i386 machine, and everything was
working great, until I cvsuped myself to -stable two nights ago. I
didn't have any problems making the world or a new kernel, but when I
got the new sources I also got the new ports tree, and none of the ports
I install seem to work now, they all fail with the message:

ELF interpreter /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Abort trap

Also, sometime when I try to install packages from sysinstall, I get an
error message that it can't find XFree86 (which is required for
such-and-such package), yet I have X installed, and it could find it
fine before I upgraded.
What did I do wrong??

Oh, also I'm having a weird problem (this didn't change between .7 and
-stable) with a MOO I'm running. When I try to load a large MOO db, it
starts to load, and then panics that malloc() failed, always at about
the same point. I figured out, however, that if I run it as root, it
works fine. If there some limit on how much memory a normal-user's
process can use?
The really weird thing about it, is that I have it set to setuid to a
relatively non-priveledged user, yet it still only works when run from
root.