Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 19:56:16 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mike Fisher <mfisher@harborcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SKey and locked account

> On Thu, 21 May 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > If you wish to disable a user's account, you should set their shell to
> > something nonexistent.  (Note that ssh may still be a way past this.)
>
> As is the login.conf(5) database, from what I can tell.  If the disabled
> user drops in a .login_conf that sets the shell, it will work although
> they will need to modify their SHELL environmental variable if they're
> going to be doing much fun stuff.
>
> However, I just did some playing around with this on a 2.2.6-STABLE system
> and didn't seem to have any luck subverting the configured shell.  (Read:
> assuming I configure .login_conf correctly, it is not being used
> correctly.)

from login.conf(5)

     In FreeBSD, users may individually create a file called .login_conf in
     their home directory using the same format, consisting of a single entry
     with a record id of "me".  If present, this file is used by login(1) to
     set user-defined environment settings which override those specified in
     the system login capabilities database.  Only a subset of login capabili-
     ties may be overridden, typically those which do not involve authentica-
     tion, resource limits and accounting.

In addition, the 'shell' capability seems to be unimplemented.  8(

> With SSH, I was unable to do a login via RSA keys or password
> authentication with the shell set to /sbin/nologin.  I'd assume that the
> ..shosts authentication would also be effectively broken.

That's bad, and effectively a bug in ssh.