Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 10:48:00 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      Hinrich Eilts <eilts@late.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        iain@misnomer.clare.tased.edu.au (Iain Templeton)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No inodes left

> Well, I seem to be having a small problem with inodes, I keep receiving
> the message (syslog)
>
> /kernel: uid 8 on /u1: out of inodes
>
> This is caused by INN (running as uid 8 = news), writing all its junk
> files, which I am sure that it didn't M
>
> I guess what I'm really asking is: How can I increase the number of
> inodes, or otherwise fix this problem. Reformatting the disk, although
> not preferred here, is an option.
>
> Either that or I need to know how to stop INN from writing all these junk
> articles.

You want 'newfs -i 4096' on the filesystem containing spool, this will
double inodes.
Typical values for a filesystem used by news-spool:
80% blocks, 100% inodes for 'newfs' (without any options),
100% blocks, 70% inodes for 'newfs -i 4096'. (This is a contradiction to
newfs manpage which claims 'newfs' equal to 'newfs -i 2048' and should
be fixed to 'newfs' equal to 'newfs -i 8192'.)
If (as in my case) /var is an own filesystem, dump - newfs - restore
in singel-user works.

Hinrich

--
            Hinrich Eilts