Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2010 16:30:01 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hang near end of kernel probes since r213267 (likely earlier)

--5zn77Mes2TPnoMqf

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 02:20:38PM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> I have recently acquired a new laptop (to replace the "Frankenlaptop"
> I've been using for the last several years).
> While I'm not about to assume that this indicates something wrong
> with FreeBSD, I'm a bit less inclined to believe that it might be a
> hardware/BIOS issue than I was yesterday.
>=20
> Here are some differences between what I saw with my work desktop vs.
> the new laptop:
>=20
> * Desktop would reliably hang on each alternate boot.  No pattern
>   detected for laptop, but hangs predominate (by a factor of about 4:1).
>=20
> * Desktop would hang on alternate boots regardless of which branch of
>   FreeBSD I was trying to boot.  Laptop only hangs on head.
>=20
> * BIOS upgrade resolved issue with desktop.  So far, it hasn't with the
>   laptop.
>=20
> How might I get sufficient appropriate additional detail that I might be
> able to help get this figured out, and possibly even fixed?

At a colleague's suggestion, I tried disabling some of the devices in
the BIOS.

Under System Configuration/Miscellaneous Devices, there are several
devices listed; eac is enabled by default.

I found the disabling the "Module Bay" appears to avoid the hang --
reliably.

That appears to be the minimally-invasive change necessary to avoid the
hang.

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--5zn77Mes2TPnoMqf

--5zn77Mes2TPnoMqf--