Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 23:50:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recommended MP development machines...

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 07:43:22PM -0700, George V. Neville-Neil wrote:
> > 	I know everyone says "they all work" but i'd like some recommendations on
> > MP machines for -CURRENT work.  I'll be ordering one this week.
>
> There is but _1_ dual system to get -- Tyan Thunder K7 (code name Guinness).
> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7.html.  It comes in multiple
> flavors, but mine is the dual-channel Ultra160, dual-3com 10/100, 5-64bit
> PCI, 1 AGP version.  You can cheap out and not get the non-SCSI S2462NG
> model.  Match this bad-boy up with a pair of fast Athlon `MP' (not `XP')
> CPU's and it is a totally solid system.  Various FreeBSD committers also
> have this system.
>
> There is a newer [more economic] version called the Thunder K7X.
> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7x.html

"more economic" is a poor way to describe it, seeing as it has all the
features, plus (1) an updated version of the AMD mp chipset and (2) a
fixed onboard usb port.  The K7 had a broken on-board usb (the AMD
chipset had a PCI contention bug for the usb port, so the tin back panel
of the board blocked out the usb, and the K7 came with a PCI usb card,
which ate up one of your PCI slots.  The K7X has a repaired on-board usb,
so you get that PCI slot back.

The main difference in the updated chipset is the fact that the 64 bit PCI
slots now run at double-speed, giving double the throughput.  No change
for the 32 bit PCI slots.  At least for me, the main usage of the 64 bit
slot would be the disk; seeing as both the K7 and the K7X can be had with
a very nice dual channel Adaptec Ultra160 controller, which means you
don't use the 64 bit PCI slot for disk, that kills that.   Added cost
for the controller is about $100, not a bad deal.

I think the K7 had only AGP; the K7X has AGP-Pro; doesn't mean much yet,
but if you're a gaming maven, maybe it'll be important pretty quickly now.

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.